Friday, September 25, 2015

Rodriguez's Reading


argument:
I believe what Richard Rodriguez is trying to get through is that when you come to America with English being your second language comes with  cons. Everything that comes with being new to America when you are from another country is difficult at first when you first arrive and notice many different things like language, pronouncing things etc. I consider myself as English being my second language and I can agree with Rodriguez because I always half the time have trouble pronouncing words the right way.

As a individual having to have the opportunity to speak two different language is such a great honor because is not that it makes you unique but is like a tense of privacy of having conversations that many around you might not understand and you sort of feel the privacy and comfort to talk to someone knowing someone might not truly understand what you’re saying.

Growing up I was literally the only Spanish student in the classroom, I remember sitting in first grade pronouncing words that was not quite right and everyone sitting in class would just stare. I would go home and make myself go through a list of words and practice them because I didn’t want anyone staring at me the way they did that way.  Walking into school not knowing if someone new would show up as a new student would speak Spanish, a simple language turns into fear when you don’t have many classmates having the opportunity to speak another language. When you’re a American, you lose so many culture facts that you have to try extra hard to remember how things really play out in your culture because you’re so caught up in trying to “fit in” that you lose the touch of being a individual.  

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the image that goes along with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you related it to your experiences as a English as a second language learner. It was a very good connection.

    ReplyDelete