Sunday, September 20, 2015

McIntosh's Reading

As I was reading White Privilege , the only thing that was coming to mind was last week's reading, Land Of limitation By Kristof and what we went over in class, SCWAAMP. As I read these words "Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability."
I thought about Kristof's reading because he talked about opportunities and it comes from us as individual to make those opportunities to happen. Kristof talks about making things happen and not feeling so low about ourselves and trying to make things happen to move forward.

I also thought about SCWAAMP because as we went over in class is about the skin color. Being able to do and get away with things as we follow the codes of "rule". Also having the opportunity and privilege to accomplish so much and being able to have support and being acknowledge on things that happen around us and or when we shine more.

In my opinion, it sucks how everyone is so judgmental on everything that everyone does. Is a very historic thing only because racism comes from such a huge background that no one really let anything go which is very hard and understanding but at the same time nothing should be base on skin color.


5 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments how nothing should be determined due to skin color. It is sad that racism still does exist today, considering how far we have come in many areas of life. Although there have been improvements to racism it is clear to see, as you brought up, it still impacts life in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As austin stated above, I also agree with how you mentioned how nothing should be based on skin color. I like how you compared this reading with Kristof's land of limitations.There are definitely similarities within these two readings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you tied everything together between SCWAAMP, Kozol, and Mcintosh. Plus it was well written and you really got your point accross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture you posted was really powerful next to your explanation of Kristof's piece, SCWAAMP, and McIntosh's Invisible Knapsack. And I agree that it sucks that people can be so judgmental about others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the article you hyperlinked in your blog. I faced the same problem at work we had different audio tours for the museum. When passing them out, it was all too easy for a lot of the tour guides to try and stereotype what language they would pick. I often faced the issue of trying to speak the language of the guest visiting and feared they might think I'm stereotyping them which is why I would always ask first before switching from English.

    ReplyDelete